Sunday, August 20, 2006

Hoping yet not hoping...

Once again, I have submitted work to Emerge. I don't really believe I will get in, but I keep trying. For years I thought I had a chance, even when my work was not nearly as good as it is now. Now I try, without much hope. The images of my work are not as good as they could be, and that really holds me back. I am happy with where the work is going, but feel like if the outside (and not just from my friends) validation does not come soon, then I will be finding it too hard to continue trying. I'll just transform into Emilie Dickinson and when I die people will find a basement full of pieces. Poor Bruce. Now that would be a pain in the butt, trying to unload all that glass.

I feel like the figures on the abstract background are a risk, that people won't gravitate toward the mix of the abstraction and figurative. I sent a piece to Pilchuck that incorporates the two. Not overwhelmingly confident about it being accepted. On pins and needles. But the reality is that this is where I am right now and until I am done with it, it is where I will stay.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barbara you cannot give up, I find your last serie very powerful. I wish I could see your art for real (I already liked very much the pieces you gave me).

2:03 PM  
Blogger Brenda Griffith said...

I have to say keep pushing too. Your work is really fabulous--textural, deep, touchable. No, it's not just touchable, it BEGS to be touched. It is irresistible!

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home