Saturday, May 20, 2006

Losing my grip on Technology...

A few days ago I woke up and realised that I had turned into my boss. I don't problem solve technology problems anymore, I ask someone else to do it for me. If I can't figure out how to do something in Powerpoint that I know it should do, I ask someone else to solve my problem. I always saw that in my boss as a sign that she was getting left behind technologically. Now that I find myself doing it, I begin to wonder if it isn't perhaps instead a sign that I am dropping the techie-guru role in my personal priorities. I don't need to solve the problem myself anymore.

Aging has suddenly become less comfortable. I am about to enter the fourth quadrant of my forties and every time I look in the mirror I see more evidence of aging. Not so much the wrinkles as the quality of my skin. Let's not even talk about all of the gray hair I hide. The after effect of a bike accident in my teens has emerged with a vengeance; arthritis in my spine and back muscles that don't want to relax. I get botox injections in the muscles of my back because they don't know how to relax. I know when it is going to rain because every f-ing joint in my body aches, from my toes to my knees to my back, my neck, my elbows and every joint in my hand (and there are tons!). So the fact that I am not on top of the game, that I have to cede the title of Queen of software problem solving to someone twenty years younger who works for me is somewhat disconcerting. (Not to mention that I haven't yet figured out how to deal internally with my not so new anymore role as boss.) And I really don't want to admit that it's really because I am slipping behind...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home