Saturday, May 20, 2006

Fix -- Part Deux

Pulled my repaired guy from the kiln this morning. It took me three 27 hour firings to do:

  • the first to tack the new elements in place with the glass face up;
  • the second to slump the base over the tacked on elements face down; and
  • the third firing to full fuse it all face down.
I slumped then full fused to make sure I wasn't trapping air. If I hadn't slumped enough after the second firing, I would have slumped again before full fusing it. I think the evidence of the break is gone....



However, the base doesn't have quite the same feeling as before, the new elements are crisper and less flowy because of the tack, slump, full steps I took. I had to do it that way to make sure I didn't distort the wafer. It might have been faster to remake the piece but then I would have thrown away all that glass.

I don't like the piece as much as before, but there isn't much I can do about that except make it over. It's too busy now. I added elements to mask the fact that I was repairing it, then added more elements to balance it. Now it feels less like contemplation and more like trying to figure out how to get everything done that has to get done today (my typical early morning contemplation on the drive into the office!). Maybe I will make him over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home