Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Works in Progress

Was working on a new piece in blues, about contemplation. Eventually will get images posted. This piece has both the rhythm of the abstract-like "Beneath the Blanket Fort" and a sweet figure wafer image. I always coldwork the abstractions, taking down the shine and giving the glass an incredibly caressable warm silk feel. I tried leaving the wafer glossy, in part because I thought the contrast would be interesting, but also because I was afraid that if I coldworked the surface of the wafer I would lose detail.

Glossy wafer looked like it didn't belong with matte silky background. So, I sandblasted the wafer lightly and lost almost no detail. Afterwards I hand polished the glass with 800 grit silicon carbide and the piece was sublime. I will never leave a wafer glossy again!

Now I am starting work on a piece in reds, about surrendering to passion. I am considering including three small wafers in the piece, instead of one large one. Like the contemplation piece, this one will be smallish, about 5 by 15". Mostly red, I will probably throw in some pinks and oranges as well. The wafer drawings will have a cream and red background. The piece is already spoken for.

I have some older unfinished work that I need to finish up. Sometimes it is hard to finish up what you were working on when your mind has taken you elsewhere.....




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home